We have a full week of training camp news and tidbits at this point. Now it’s time to pass that information on to you all. Here’s the first AFC East training camp update.
- Short-area passing has been a focus for Josh Allen. The beneficiary of this has been Cole Beasley, and reports of their chemistry growing have been popping up from multiple reporters.
- In general, Allen has been erratic, to all areas of the field.
- The main target and receiver that’s been receiving the most hype has been John Brown. Zay Jones has been the other consistent first-team wide receiver.
- There are a lot of bodies at running back, but one thing seems certain: T.J. Yeldon is last on the depth chart. Matt Parrino said Yeldon has been “basically relegated to the third team”. Yikes.
- LeSean McCoy, Frank Gore, and Devin Singletary have all been getting first-team reps.
- Several of the Bills tight ends have been dealing with injuries, but I’m not sure it matters for fantasy purposes.
- Ryan Fitzpatrick has been “clearly” the better quarterback over Josh Rosen according to head coach Brian Flores.
- On Thursday’s (8/1) practice, however, a few reporters said Rosen had a strong outing, and that he had put together two consecutive solid days.
- DeVante Parker is killing it in offseason practices…for what feels like the ninth year in a row.
- Kalen Ballage had been receiving the first of the first-team reps earlier in the week until an injury (undisclosed) recently sidelined him. Travis Wingfield of Locked on Dolphins noted that although Ballage has been the recipient of all of the hype, Kenyan Drake is having himself a solid camp and making chunk-yardage plays daily.
- The offensive line is a work in progress, so it may be tough sledding for whoever is taking the handoffs.
- ESPN reporter Cameron Wolfe has Nick O’Leary looking the best at the tight end position.
New England Patriots
- Sony Michel started sliding down draft boards with the addition of third-round pick Damien Harris and news of a knee procedure. As of late, however, he appears to be looking like he did during his playoff tear last year.
- Two wide receivers that are showing out (and nobody saw coming)? Maurice Harris and UDFA Jakobi Meyers. Harris has been getting praise for being able to line up everywhere, while Meyers has been making highlight-reel-worthy catches nearly every single practice.
- Meyers had been showing so well that he actually got first-team reps.
- On Wednesday (7/31), first-round rookie selection N’Keal Harry had several bad drops. Reports started coming out about how he’s been uneven throughout the offseason. This seems like it could be true, because today the reports coming out of Pats camp had Harry as one of the top performers.
New York Jets
- The Jets were able to woo Ryan Kalil out of retirement to upgrade/fill their center position.
- Sam Darnold is looking much more comfortable commanding an NFL offense in his second season. One thing that sticks out is his decision-making, and how quickly he’s able to do so.
- Le’Veon Bell has been getting work both as a runner and pass-catcher.
- Adam Gase has not been shy about talking up Robby Anderson, and Anderson has been showing a great connection with Darnold. Gase wants to develop Anderson into a more “complete” receiver with a more expansive route tree.
- Jamison Crowder went down with an injury earlier in the week but has already returned to practice.
That’ll do it for week one of the AFC East Training Camp Update! Check back every Friday for when these will be released and let us know if we’re missing anything!